Sunday, June 7, 2020

In Jo's Yard - 64 Tropical Sage


Next to the Blanket Flower, I think the Tropical Sage (Salvia coccinea) is the most prolific flower in my garden.  My plants have flowers that are scarlet red, a rosy pink or white.  It is native all along the Southeast of the US from South Carolina to Florida to Texas.  It likes full sun to partial shade.  In my yard it grows best in the Wildflower garden that gets morning & afternoon sun, and grows also in the backyard which gets the afternoon sun.  It flowers nearly year-round depending on the weather, but typically from spring to first frost.  Tropical Sage pops up everywhere in my yard.  It is easily plucked from the ground and re-planted, or stuck in a pot to give as a gift.  I have found it growing up though the Scorpion-tail, in amongst the twinflower, all over the yard in the frog-fruit.  I love to look at its glowing red tubular flowers in the morning sun from my office window. 

The tubular flowers attract butterflies, hummingbirds, bees.  The sparrows and finches alight on it and pluck the seeds.  If not thinned out, it will easily take over the space.  You can pinch the spent flower stems at the bottom to encourage more flowers. 

I can highly recommend this flower if you just want to add a native plant to your bed, because it is so easy to grow. 

RESOURCES: 





                                        July 2019, bee (left) enjoys my red Tropical Sage


                        September 2019, white Tropical Sage in my Wildflower Garden


1 comment:

  1. One thing I especially love about my tropical sage is watching the house finches perch on the stem and eat the seeds. The persch is tricky as the stem bends as they eat. I have tried to get a picture but the birds are spooky and fly away.
    barbara

    ReplyDelete

In Jo's Yard - last post - Join Facebook group

 It has been a pleasure writing this blog, but it is time to move on.  My Villages Chapter of the Florida Native Plant Society has started a...