Sunday, July 19, 2020

In Jo's Yard - 70 Compact Firebush


I think the most stunning plant in my yard is the Compact Firebush (Hamelia patens).  I just love to walk out back in the morning to be greeted by the red and green of my compact firebush plants.  The leaves are a gorgeous emerald green and it has fiery deep red tubular flowers from late spring til first frost.  Hummingbirds and the gulf fritillary and zebra wing butterflies love this plant!  It is the larval host for the Pluto sphinx moth.  It is drought and heat tolerant, and best of all it has not serious insect or disease problems.  My four plants have been remarkably easy-care.  In the fall, it gets red berries – the mockingbirds love them in my yard, but they are eaten by lots of birds and small mammals.   

It may grow as tall as 15 feet.  It can be pruned to keep it in the 5’-8’ height. But this is NOT a plant to be pruned back “hard” or frequently.  This will limit the production of flowers. You can propagate firebush by seed or by cuttings.                   

RESOURCES:
https://www.fnps.org/plants/plant/hamelia-patens

https://gardeningsolutions.ifas.ufl.edu/plants/ornamentals/firebush.html




                            September 2019 – I have three compact firebush 
                                              in the center of my backyard

                                                           June 2019


2018 October  Compact Firebush flowers with berries 


No comments:

Post a Comment

In Jo's Yard - last post - Join Facebook group

 It has been a pleasure writing this blog, but it is time to move on.  My Villages Chapter of the Florida Native Plant Society has started a...