Monday, May 6, 2019

In Jo's Yard - 11 Removing the Non-Native Plants


I offered shrubs to my neighbors, but there were few takers.  One neighbor takes the tree from the front yard and the holly bush from in front of the garage.  A few days later, a neighbor, Tony C, graciously digs up the shrubs for me.  Then, I get a call from an FNPS member wanting to see my yard – thinking it was already Native.  He and his daughter come over anyway – take away 6 Indian Hawthorns in a sports car – 5 in “back seat” & 1 in “boot”.   The remaining shrubs go to the land fill. 


I am painfully aware of the state of my yard, and try to look forward to what will be.  From my office window, I see cars and carts slow down and I feel the stares.  If I encounter walkers, I cheerfully tell them it will get better – “I’m replacing the grass with Frog Fruit”.  That’s usually followed by a discussion about what a funny name for a plant, what it is and where they might see it.  The Villages uses it around the postal pick-ups, median strips, residential “public areas” or islands.  I hope it’s something to think about.  https://www.fnps.org/plants/plant/phyla-nodiflora



                                        Shrubs dug up, drying out, on my dried out lawn

No comments:

Post a Comment

In Jo's Yard - last post - Join Facebook group

 It has been a pleasure writing this blog, but it is time to move on.  My Villages Chapter of the Florida Native Plant Society has started a...