Monday, August 19, 2019

In Jo's Yard - 26 Mockingbirds


October 8, 2018, Hurricane Michael is in the Gulf and not expected to come this way.  On this Monday, it is windy and cloudy.  Just after 4 pm, there is a heavy rain shower.  I hope that this might lead to my first sighting of the Rain Lilies that are in my wildflower garden!  Maybe in 3-4 days, according to one website.  (spoiler alert – they didn’t come)

I have seen Mockingbirds in my yard – the Florida State Bird.  I often see them on neighbors’ roofs, but I think my yard is developing some attractive food.  The Mockingbird is known for mimicking the songs of other birds, but its own song is a pleasant lilting song that is both varied and repetitive. A mockingbird may sing all night long, especially under a bright spring moon.  It feeds on insects, weeds’ seeds and ripe berries.  I could definitely use the help with the weeds!  Mockingbirds reside in Florida year round and will fiercely defend their nests which are built in dense trees. 

I saw an amazing sight in my backyard that involved an Eastern Bluebird, a House Sparrow and a Mockingbird.  House Sparrows are described as the “number 1 enemy” of Bluebirds and Purple Martins.  House Sparrows will destroy the eggs & the young and even attack and kill adult bluebirds.  My neighbor had a Bluebird family in a birdhouse.  A House Sparrow claimed my birdhouse (although he didn’t have a mate or a nest).  The same neighbor had a palm tree that was home to a Mockingbird’s nest and young. 

One afternoon, I observed the House Sparrow sitting on my birdhouse that is among the privet senna, rosinflower and narrowleaf ironweed.  The Bluebird parent was on the roof of my neighbor’s house.  The Bluebird swooped off the roof and attacked the House Sparrow.  The two birds fell from my birdhouse to the ground, seemingly locked in “mortal combat”.  I couldn’t see what was happening but the pine straw was flying!  The next thing I knew, a Mockingbird flew from treetop to ground at the two fighting birds and apparently broke up the fight.  All three birds then flew from ground to three separate rooftops!  That Mockingbird was not going to put up with that behavior in his territory!  It was DRAMA IN THE BACKYARD! 

Here is a website I found that not only helps you identify birds, but has recordings of their songs.  I have cued up the Northern Mockingbird for you - https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Northern_Mockingbird



           Common Mockingbird-State Bird of Florida (photo from Florida State website)

No comments:

Post a Comment

In Jo's Yard - last post - Join Facebook group

 It has been a pleasure writing this blog, but it is time to move on.  My Villages Chapter of the Florida Native Plant Society has started a...