Monday, August 12, 2019

In Jo's Yard - 25 Positive Feedback


I find I am spending about 30-60 minutes every morning weeding.  Each morning, I pick a section of the yard and start.  I carry my newspaper bag with me.  A lot of bending over!  The grasses seem especially stubborn.  One morning, 3 months after Phase 1 was planted, and after an hour of weeding, I was talking to one neighbor when someone she knew drove up in a golf cart.  He exclaimed “Here’s the woman in charge who I can ask about what’s going on here”.  So I told him I replaced all the grass with Frog Fruit – he didn’t think he’d ever seen frog fruit before, although it is in many public neighborhood places like Postal Pick-up areas and median strips.  He asked if I had to go through the ARC.  I replied I hired a professional landscaper for the design and got ARC approval.  The ARC's only stipulation / exception was that the plants (other than ground cover) had to be planted 3 feet from the property line.  I told him that within a year I would be only watering as needed.  He mentioned it was a different look from the usual rocks and stone landscaping and finished with “it shows imagination!”  That put a smile on my face for the rest of the day.  


          The front yard just 3 months after planting in July – the frog fruit has filled in nicely

No comments:

Post a Comment

In Jo's Yard - last post - Join Facebook group

 It has been a pleasure writing this blog, but it is time to move on.  My Villages Chapter of the Florida Native Plant Society has started a...