Sunday, May 10, 2020

In Jo's Yard - 60 Wild Petunias


WILD PETUNIAS!  What does that name conjure up? Petunias run wild!  Fun times …. Gosh I’ve been in quarantine too long!  But my yard and garden is a refuge in these times of “corona virus lockdown”. 

I love my wild petunias (Ruellia caroliniensis) and I’ve doubled the number of plants since they were planted in September 2018, in my backyard (the west side of the house).  Fresh blooms every day for spring, summer and fall, April -  September.  It is the host to two types of butterflies, the common buckeye and the white peacock.  Its tubular flowers attract a variety of pollinators.  It will self-seed, and this spring (second spring in my yard), I have found just a couple of “volunteers” in the backyard bed. 

Wild petunias are winter dormant, and by late fall are getting leggy.  I was advised to trim them back.  They will die back to the ground, so the other advice I received was that I might want to mark where they are, so I could remember over the winter.  I marked them with pinecones from the pine straw the first two winters.    Now that I know where they are, or where they are supposed to be, I don’t think I need to mark them anymore. 

CAUTION: many big box stores sell the highly invasive Mexican Petunias (Ruellia simplex).  This invasive species will displace the native species. It does not respond well to herbicides.  I encourage you to “plant responsibly” – Native plants support native wildlife. 

RESOURCES: 





  September 2018 These Wild Petunias were planted in my backyard just 2 weeks earlier

                            June 2019 - My Wild Petunias in front of the Compact Firebush

                          Wild Petunia with White Peacock butterfly (from FlWildflowers.org)

No comments:

Post a Comment

In Jo's Yard - last post - Join Facebook group

 It has been a pleasure writing this blog, but it is time to move on.  My Villages Chapter of the Florida Native Plant Society has started a...