Monday, March 4, 2019

In Jo's Yard - 2 Inspiration from FNPS



After looking at re-sale homes and new homes, I finally “landed” in The Village of Pine Hills. The house was being built.  I had no options in the yard / landscape area – there would be grass, and more grass.   I had no say in the shrubs or trees – “The landscaper will plant whatever he’s got in stock that day”.


In the meantime, I tried not to miss the FNPS meetings – what fascinating speakers (Meetings - The Villages FNPS)!  One that stuck in my head was June 24, 2016 – Amanda Martin from Grounded Solutions, a landscape designer (www.groundedsol.com).  Here was someone who could help me create a more interesting outdoor space.  I filed her business card away for future reference.  A vision was slowly forming in my head. 

Then September 30, 2016, The Villages Chapter of FNPS had their first self-guided garden tour.  Eight addresses were on the list and barely 4 hours to squeeze them in.  I made it to seven of them.  What enchanting spaces!  Big yards, small villa yards, some a little bit formal, some a little bit wild!  I wanted one of each!  The photos I snapped barely captured the variety, the “feeling” of the different yards – serene, cool, calm, colorful, stimulating.  
  

 It was October 2016 when my new home was completed.  Homes were still being built in the Village of Pine Hills.  I found I had wonderful neighbors, and I was very happy with my new home, but the yard left something to be desired.  


I had the requisite small tree just inside the 13.5’ easement, a small holly in front of the garage, and some Loropetalum, Indian Hawthorns, and an unknown small shrub around the lamp post and front entrance.  And an expanse of grass.  Not a bird in sight.  I needed a plan!
                            
     What I had                                                                      What I wanted


No comments:

Post a Comment

In Jo's Yard - last post - Join Facebook group

 It has been a pleasure writing this blog, but it is time to move on.  My Villages Chapter of the Florida Native Plant Society has started a...