Monday, March 11, 2019

In Jo's Yard - 3 Tips for a Successful Landscape


I so enjoy going to the FNPS Villages Chapter meetings – 4th Friday of the month at Big Cypress Recreation Center.  Meetings start at 1:30pm, but I would go early to see what plants were in the raffle / auction, or what free literature was available.  I kept notes in a Composition Book.  Looking back here are some snippets – keep mind what a novice I am:


·       Right plant in the right place

·       Layer 1 – TREES – overall canopy for nesting, food source, protection

·       Layer 2 – SHRUBS – add depth, ecological relationship

·       Layer 3 – WILDFLOWERS – annuals can be high maintenance; keep manageable, keep small and weed-able

·       Don’t skimp on the mulch!

·       You need grouping or mass plantings of a plant so the birds can see when flying over

·       Define edges and separate groups / beds of plants, put plants with similar moisture requirements together

Many of these tips must be obvious to anyone who’s had a yard, and flower or vegetable gardens.  But I was trying to soak up what I needed to know in a relatively short time. 


Oh my gosh, Dr. Jason A. Smith, an associate professor at the University of Florida spoke on Urban Tree Diversity – I tried to write down the names of all the trees that looked interesting to me – and I starred a couple like the Sweet Acacia (Acacia farnesiana) with its yellow flowers and the Atlantic White Cedar (Chamaecyparis thyoides) for its aromatic wood.  I miss tall trees!  


Below: (Left) A Catbird enjoys some grape jelly in “my” Maryland back yard, which had a beautiful canopy of tall trees.  (Right) But my “cottage” yard, is too small to grow a majestic Native Live Oak.








No comments:

Post a Comment

In Jo's Yard - last post - Join Facebook group

 It has been a pleasure writing this blog, but it is time to move on.  My Villages Chapter of the Florida Native Plant Society has started a...