Monday, September 16, 2019

In Jo's Yard - 30 Enjoying My Surroundings


It’s a Fall morning, and I am weeding around the yard. I see at least 5 different butterflies, but can only identify the Monarch and Gulf Fritillary butterflies.  There is a pale yellow one that maybe is a skipper or a sulphur.   There is a small one that looks black - maybe a Florida Duskywing?  One has pale beige wings when closed but bright orange pattern when open, but smaller than monarch - A Florida LeafWing?  I try identifying them from a couple of websites:    http://wildlife.floridanatureguide.com/butterflies/florida-butterflies/      or    https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/wildflowers/butterfly-search/


I catch sight of a sparrow sitting in the Simpson Stopper!  Gradually the wildlife is coming back to the area after all the consruction.  In the evening, I take time to sit on my glider in the front yard.  I have a view of the wildflower garden, right in front of me, the trellis to my left and I can look to right and see the lamp post garden, and across the driveway, the bed with Muhly grass, Wild Lime Tree and Pinelands lantana.  


I have an ancient cat (22 in May 2019), who enjoyed some outdoor living in his life up North.  Here in Florida, if he comes outside with me, he is on a leash.  However, he does not seem to appreciate the yard – he just wants to go back into air conditioned comfort.


                                                      My 22 year old cat on a leash

No comments:

Post a Comment

In Jo's Yard - last post - Join Facebook group

 It has been a pleasure writing this blog, but it is time to move on.  My Villages Chapter of the Florida Native Plant Society has started a...