Monday, September 23, 2019

In Jo's Yard - 31 Gusty Winds


It’s a November afternoon (2018) and I am looking forward to some rain.  Around 4pm it is getting darker, so I open the shades in my Florida Room.  The rain comes and I watch it pour like a mini-Niagra Falls off my roof on to the patio at the back of the house.  Watching it makes me think I need to see about getting a rain barrel.  I look out to the front yard.  Oh my gosh, the wind has blown over my wooden glider – and that is quite sturdy!  Luckily the flatwood plum tree behind it appears to be unharmed.  The next morning I go out to assess the damage.  I manage to right the glider and confirm that the flatwood plum has just a small broken branch or two, and no damage to the trunk or bark that would encourage pests.  The bee balm is also undamaged. 

I walk around the entire yard.  The occasional torn leaf, but no real damage.  The small blazing star liastra which was upright is now horizontal on the ground, but still has the lavender flowers and the long one that was always lying in a circle / halo is the same.  All the trees and shrubs appear good.  The muhly grass is still lovely blowing in the breeze.  I spot one blanket flower bush which is windblown to the side.  Once again I will hold out hope that the rain lilies will appear in 2-4 days!  (spoiler alert – they STILL did not come)

Wind has blown the glider over and pushed aside some blanket flower plants. 






No comments:

Post a Comment

In Jo's Yard - last post - Join Facebook group

 It has been a pleasure writing this blog, but it is time to move on.  My Villages Chapter of the Florida Native Plant Society has started a...