Monday, September 30, 2019

In Jo's Yard - 32 Irrigation


November 2018 - We need rain.   September 2019 – We need rain.  It seems Florida is constantly in a drought.  Since I moved here in 2016, I have yet to experience the “daily 3pm rain showers”.  The best time to water plants is early morning before the sun rises or evening after sunset, so that the water has a chance to soak into the soil keeping it moist as long as possible.  In fact, according to The Villages Water Wisdom site, watering may only occur BEFORE 10AM or AFTER 4PM, and for less than one hour per zone.  http://www.thevillageswaterwisdom.com/lake-county-irrigation-schedule/

When my yard was first planted, I set my irrigation for three times a week, 30 minutes.  Now that it is one year old (September 2019), I set the irrigation schedule for two times a week, 10 minutes.  Native plants have evolved over time to adjust to the soil and moisture in their natural habitats.  So planting a healthy diversity of native plants will help reduce irrigation water needs.  Of course, keep in mind “Right Plant, Right Place”. My irrigation water use for the first 9 months of 2019 is down 38% from the first 9 months of 2018, so I feel I’m on the right track. 

Roger comes with his drone and takes aerial photos!  I’m disappointed that the yard doesn’t look more green from above.  But it does look more interesting to me, with the different beds and the walking path.  Close up, the Tropical Sage is still full of blooms, and it looks great with the flags that I have out for Veterans’ Day.  The Blanket Flowers have hundreds of blooms!  It’s getting “there”.  


                                              Aerial view November 2018

                      Celebrating Veterans’ Day (photo of flags & tropical sage)

No comments:

Post a Comment

In Jo's Yard - last post - Join Facebook group

 It has been a pleasure writing this blog, but it is time to move on.  My Villages Chapter of the Florida Native Plant Society has started a...