Monday, October 14, 2019

In Jo's Yard - 33 Birdhouse


November 2018, Tom and Judy (my brother and sister-in-law) come here for Thanksgiving.  Tom delivers the birdhouse that he made for my birthday.  He installed it in the late afternoon.  The very next morning – Bluebirds were checking it out!  I understand they won’t be moving in anytime soon, since nesting is in the spring.  But I am thinking “Build it and they will come!”  Two of my neighbors decided to follow my example and got some birdhouses from the local box stores. 

In early spring, 2019, they each get bluebirds, but I get a House Sparrow.  The House Sparrow never really builds a nest – he just claims the birdhouse to keep any other birds from getting it!  However, in late June 2019, after the house sparrow left, I made sure the birdhouse was clean and bluebirds DID arrive.  I enjoyed watching them go in and out with bugs collected from my yard.  In July, after the fledging left, I checked the birdhouse and there was a beautiful, neat nest left behind.  I cleaned it out – ready for the next breeding season!

                                                   Bluebirds check out the neighborhood                      

Checking out the interior accommodations 

Empty Bluebird nest after a successful breeding in 2019 

No comments:

Post a Comment

In Jo's Yard - last post - Join Facebook group

 It has been a pleasure writing this blog, but it is time to move on.  My Villages Chapter of the Florida Native Plant Society has started a...