Monday, October 21, 2019

In Jo's Yard - 34 Rain


December 2018, I saw both Eastern Blue Birds & North Carolina Cardinals in the yard in Flatwood Plum trees and on my glider.  The Northern Mockingbird is eating the red berries in the Yaupon Holly by the garage. 

December 14-15 (2018), rain and severe thunderstorms were predicted throughout the day.  We could use some rain!  There was gentle rain in the morning and early afternoon.  Late afternoon, the downpour started with some rumbles of thunder and a few flashes of lightning.  I was awakened at 1AM by the sound of driving rain and lay awake for a while saying a few prayers that we all would be safe from disasters like sinkholes, a phenomenon that I don’t particularly understand and definitely don’t want to experience.  Saturday morning, I took a deep breath and went out to pick up the newspaper and check out the yard. 

The plants, shrubs, trees all seem to have survived the drenching very well.  The frog fruit looks greener in some places.  The swamp twinflower seems to have spread overnight.  Surely, I tell myself, I will see the rain lilies after this drenching in just 3-4 days!  (spoiler alert:  Not yet)  There is some standing water along the north side of the house, and along the west and south property lines, but that would have been there even with just grass.  I still have a lot to learn about the Florida climate and native plants, but my yard seems to be doing well for now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

In Jo's Yard - last post - Join Facebook group

 It has been a pleasure writing this blog, but it is time to move on.  My Villages Chapter of the Florida Native Plant Society has started a...