Monday, November 11, 2019

In Jo's Yard - 37 Pine Straw and Coffee Grounds


In February 2019, I am expecting 40 bales of long leaf pine straw, ordered through my Villages’ Chapter of FNPS.  I did some yard work in preparation.  I spread two large bags of coffee grounds – one around each of my Flatwood plum trees.   I trimmed the Muhly grass, leaving about 4 inches from the ground and I did some weeding.  Another FNPS member gave me a trick for trimming the Muhly grass - gather up all the blades of one plant and wrap tight with a bungee cord.  Then it is easier to trim it evenly with the weed whacker or loppers.  
I feel like this MUST be Florida Spring now, because unwanted plants (aka weeds, aka right plant, wrong place) are popping up everywhere, seemingly overnight! 

I attended The Villages FNPS presentation on Feb. 22, 2019 on Practical Pruning by Nick Giancola of Green Isle Gardens and learned I really should cut the Muhly Grass back even more ….. so more came off 2 weeks later!

You can get large bags of coffee grounds from Starbucks for free.  In The Villages, the Starbucks on Sumter Landing Square has a basket in the breezeway with a “take for free” sign.  If the basket is empty, just ask inside.  Why coffee grounds, you ask?  Here’s a link to one website with a good explanation:  https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/composting/ingredients/coffee-grounds-gardening.htm


                                          Muhly Grass in bloom in October 2018

Muhly Grass in bloom in October 2018 

Muhly Grass in February 2019

Muhly Grass, trimmed to about 2-4 inches 

No comments:

Post a Comment

In Jo's Yard - last post - Join Facebook group

 It has been a pleasure writing this blog, but it is time to move on.  My Villages Chapter of the Florida Native Plant Society has started a...