Sunday, November 24, 2019

In Jo's Yard - 39 The Rain Lily


February 25 2019 – The Flatwood Plum trees have a few (very few) green leaves and some little white flowers.  I am glad they are showing signs of life!  I am looking forward to more!

February 28 2019 –  AT LAST after yesterday’s rain, I went out to get the morning paper.  I heard a lot of bird “ruckus” towards my backyard.  I walked to the corner of the house, hoping maybe birds were fighting over, or building a nest in my birdhouse.  I didn’t see any avian excitement.  I turned around to walk back and stopped dead in my tracks – there it was – a single beautiful white rain lily.  Fully formed, open, just gorgeous.  I was in awe!  Who could I tell?  I actually stood in my garden alternately gaping at this beautiful lily and looking down the street until I spot a neighbor, dog-walking, heading for home.  As soon as she approached and said good morning, I spilled out – I have my first rain lily! 

Rain lilies are a short-lived perennial flower and they are a threatened species in Florida.  Under the Endangered Species Act in the United States, "threatened" is defined as "any species which is likely to become an endangered species within the foreseeable future throughout all or a significant portion of its range".  It is the less protected of the two protected categories. Rain lilies typically bloom in late winter to early summer, after a rain shower.  They prefer moist soil, but not saturated, and full sun to partial shade.  They are a hardy species and make for a nice mass planting – they can be mowed!  CAUTION- all parts of this plant are poisonous if eaten.

[No post on December 2, 2019 – Happy Thanksgiving to all]


                                                                     My first rain lily  



No comments:

Post a Comment

In Jo's Yard - last post - Join Facebook group

 It has been a pleasure writing this blog, but it is time to move on.  My Villages Chapter of the Florida Native Plant Society has started a...